April 28, 2006

Poetry Friday: Four years, four dream variations by Langston Hughes

Dreams
by Langston Hughes (1923)

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.


Dream Variations
by Langston Hughes (1924)

To fling my arms wide
In some place of the sun,
To whirl and dance
Till the white day is done.
Then rest at cool evening
Beneath a tall tree
While night comes on gently,
Dark like me --
That is my dream!

To fling my arms wide
In the face of the sun,
Dance! Whirl! Whirl!
Till the quick day is done.
Rest at pale evening...
A tall, slim tree...
Night coming tenderly
Black like me.


The Dream Keeper
by Langston Hughes (1925)

Bring me all of your dreams,
You dreamers,
Bring me all of your
Heart melodies
That I may wrap them
In a blue cloud-cloth
Away from the too-rough fingers
Of the world.


Water-Front Streets
by Langston Hughes (1926)

The spring is not so beautiful there --
But dream ships sail away
To where the spring is wondrous rare
And life is gay.

The spring is not so beautiful there --
But lads put out to sea
Who carry beauties in their hearts
And dreams, like me.


For more Poetry Friday fun, round up the usual suspects, beginning with instigator Big A little a! Hope to add the other links, maybe tonight. We're off and running now...

No comments: