November 21, 2006

The gods are laughing

So much for my plans for the next few days.

Just got back from chores to find a message on the answering machine from the electric company advising us of a "planned power outage" tomorrow and Thursday, from 9 am to noon and from 1-4 pm both days.

Well.

No power means no water, no light, no heat (did I mention those cold daytime temperatures coming?), and none of the niceties like CBC radio or that nice new KitchenAid mixer. Of course, this isn't a problem for many of our neighbors, most of whom spend the day in town and none of whom homeschool. All I have to say is thank goodness for my vintage O'Keefe & Merritt gas stove. I think I'll mix up the batter for Davy's cake first thing tomorrow morning, and maybe some cookie dough, and we can do the baking throughout the day to keep warm. If it snows, so much the better, because we can spend most of the day outside playing, and we can at least have hot chocolate, cookies, and oranges.

No comments: