August 11, 2006

Book meme

I saw this first at Rebecca's Gypsy Caravan, and then Kelly's Big A little a and decided to play since it's cool and cloudy today and I need a break in between washing the kitchen floor and cleaning the fridge. And this reminds me that I owe LaMai a book meme, too, which I'll have to dig out (sorry, LaMai!).

One book that changed your life:

The Well-Trained Mind. While I've tweaked it and deviated from it considerably since starting to homeschool -- it is, after all, just a guide -- and while academic reasons have come to be only part of the reason we homeschool, the book was instrumental in helping me to realize (and to convince Tom) that we could teach the kids at home and give them the education we want.

One book that you've read more than once:

Pride and Prejudice, which I feel compelled to read every spring (it's a wind-changing, Mary Poppins sort of thing)

And, in my childhood, Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books and L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables books; these two series probably also changed my life considerably in that I developed such a love of pioneer life and of Canada that when presented with the option, upon deciding to marry Tom, of moving to a farm in Canada, it seemed the answer to a dream. And I've never regretted the choice (especially when I discovered that I could have almost any book sent almost to my door through Chapters.ca, Amazon.ca, Abebooks.com, or Powell's).

One book you'd want on a desert island:

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery. Not only is it chock full of useful information for homesteading situations, but at over 800 pages, it would keep you in reading material for quite some time.

One book that makes you laugh...

out loud, every time:

Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimbrough.

One book that made you cry:

Vichy France and the Jews by Michael Marrus and Robert Paxton

One book that you wish had been written:

Even More Home Cooking by Laurie Colwin, who died much too young.

One book that you wish had never been written:

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

Disney's Princess Storybook Collection

The Sesame Street Treasury

Oh dear. Is that more than one?

One book you're currently reading:

The Winds of Change by Martha Grimes

One book you've been meaning to read:

With the kids, The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson (I'm planning to give it to Laura for Christmas) and for myself, Ideas: A History of Thought and Invention, from Fire to Freud by Peter Watson

I'm not planning on tagging anyone, but if you want to play, let me (or Rebecca or Kelly) know...

****

Updated to add that Kelly at Big A little a has more on more kidlit meme links here (and I'm not the only one who finds LYF creepy twaddle).

No comments: