October 11, 2005

How to bring Thanksgiving dinner with a bunch of public school teachers to a screeching halt with Pyramus and Frisbee

At dinner on Sunday, Tom's brother asked our youngest (not quite 5) if he knew any good stories. So excited he almost fell off his chair, Davy announced loudly, "Yes! Pyramus and Frisbee and the wall. And Puck is very funny, too." He then proceeded to tell everyone the story of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" -- new to more than a few of our relatives, including the three public school teachers present -- which the kids have been enjoying on DVD thanks to Shakespeare4Kidz, an English outfit.

Then, just as I felt able to lift my head up from my plate and glance around, Laura said thoughtfully, chewing some pie, "I think the myth of Pyramus and Thisbe is where Shakespeare got the idea for Romeo & Juliet. Don't you think so, Uncle Steve?"

And then Tom kicked me under the table and started laughing.

No comments: