January 12, 2006

Is it just me?

In between banishing dust bunnies, putting out new sheets and towels (hey, says Tom, is there room for a couple of halogen spotlights for your dad and our friend the Caribbean chicken farmer?), examining science experiments in the fridge (oops, and don't forget the camera!), and reading my email, I've spent the better part of the week compulsively examining our plane tickets and insurance documents "just in case." As if overnight the dates on the tickets might change, or someone's passport suddenly expire. As it is, Davy is good until 2010 with his new passport, and the rest of us can rest until late next year.

I think it's just the voice of experience, though. Last year, upon receiving our Air Canada tickets purchased online, I discovered that Master Davy had been relegated to a different flight, all by his lonesome, at the ripe old age of 4. Fortunately, one quick call got him on the same plane with the rest of us. And this past holiday season, my sister and her family in Kenya were getting ready to leave for the airport to spend Christmas and New Year's with my parents in New York when -- three hours before departure -- my sister discovered that her daughter's passport had expired earlier in the month. Double oops...

No comments: