September 06, 2006

Back-to-school goodie bags

I have to admit that while I can't stand the provincial public school system, I love the idea of school. In fact, I think I wrote recently that one of the reasons we pulled Laura out to homeschool is that Tom and I each loved school so much (I used to cry on the last day of school because I was so sad to find it over) that we wanted our kids to feel the very same way about school, education, and learning. Not all the same, but all good things in their own ways.

I love school supplies, and to me the excitement of a new beginning in September has always been better than anticlimax of the post-holiday new beginning in January. Call me crazy. And part of that crazy excitement bubbles over into new books, art supplies, CDs, and movies I can share with the kids. By the way, even though the CDs and movies are put in individual bags, it's understood that they're all for-sharing-with-the-whole-family items. I'm nuts but I'm not that nuts.

For Davy, five-and-a-half and in 1st grade:
all first graders around here get a Timex learner's watch (this one has a dinosaur design) and a good quality set of colored pencils (Laurentian "Studio", new this year and so far so good);
small Lego "Racers" kit, with small car (since Lego counts as both a science kit and a math manipulative around here);
Lentil by Robert McCloskey (for music appreciation);
George Shrinks by William Joyce (to make new reading lessons fun);
Look at the Sky and Tell the Weather and Eric Sloane's Weather Book, for my weather nut who was wearing out the library's copies, and because anything by Sloane is wonderful
American Tall Tales audio CD by Jim Weiss, to go along with our continuing American history/SOTW3 studies
stickers/tracing paper/notebook/cardmaking bits and bobs

Daniel, edging closer to seven-and-a-half, 2nd grade:
"Building Big" DVD series by David Macaulay, definitely a big ticket item and one that's been on my Amazon wish list for years, both for Tom and for the kids. Based on our first viewing tonight, I'd say it's a big success, too. Ten thumbs up. Even if I can't expense it for Tom's construction work...
Burt Dow, Deep Water Man by Robert McCloskey
Emma's Strange Pet by Canadian author Jean Little, an I Can Read book for my lizard lover and new reader
Lego "Racers" kit, with small car (see above)
Abraham Lincoln and the Heart of America audio CD by Jim Weiss (see above)
stickers/tracing paper/notebook/cardmaking bits and bobs

Laura, nine years old, 4th grade:
School Smarts planner from American Girl, discovered by Laura in a summertime AG catalogue, and upon reflection decided upon as a way of moving her to more independent work, with (first) reading and then writing assignments. I'm hoping yesterday's excitement about the planner and extra responsibility continues;
Kaya's Story Collection by Janet Shaw (which Laura is enjoying immensely)
"Living Adventures from American History" CD from Eye in the Ear, another companion resource for our two-year SOTW3 studies, and something I'm eager to hear myself after reading the write-up in the Chinaberry catalogue several years ago;
The Burgess Seashore Book for Children by Thornton Burgess, to take along when we visit my parents in the West Indies in the new year;
Thomas Jefferson's America audio CD by Jim Weiss (see above)
"Handwriting by George: Rules of Civility & Decent Behaviour in Company & Conversation", a cursive writing workbook to take advantage of Laura's American Girl/colonial America fixation (I'm sure you're noticing an AG trend here in my Canadian girl); that's George as in Gen. Washington;
The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson, which I'm hoping Laura will let me read aloud to the three of them;
a few bookmarks I made with a line for the day's date and "I need to read ____ pages by _______" to keep track of her new independent reading assignments; we'll see how this works and I'll keep you posted;
stickers/tracing paper/notebook/cardmaking bits and bobs


No comments: