November 04, 2005

Thoughts on returning home from the weekend's organic farming seminar in Regina, Saskatchewan

"Pasture Management"
by E.B. White

Down here below the pasture pond,
O'er the lovely lea,
I went spraying the bushes
With 2, 4-D.

(For young, susceptible annual weeds, apply one to two pints per acre.)

I had read my bulletins,
I was in the know.
The two young heifers
Came and watched the show.

(Along ditches and fences rows, use 2,4-D when weeds are in a succulent stage. Won't harm livestock.)

Rank grew the pasture weeds,
The thistle and the bay;
A quiet, still morning,
A good time to spray.

(Control weeds the easy way with Agricultural Weed-No-More--not by chemical burn but by hormone action.)

Suddenly I looked and saw
What my spray had found:
The wild, shy strawberry
Was everywhere around.

(An alkyl ester of 2, 4-D is produced by reacting an alcohol with the raw 2, 4-D acid. The result is an oily liquid that sticks to weed leaves.)

What sort of madness,
Little man, is this?
What sort of answer to
The wild berry's kiss?

(Any 3- or 4-gallon garden pump-up sprayer can be used, after the standard nozzle has been replaced with a new precision nozzle.)

It seemed to me incredible
That I'd begun the day
By rendering inedible
A meal that came my way.
All across the pasture in
The strip I'd completed
Lay wild, ripe berries
With hormones treated.

(The booklet gives you the complete story.)

I stared at the heifers,
An idiot child;
I stared at the berries
That I had defiled.
I stared at the lambkill,
The juniper and bay.
I walked home slowly
And put my pump away.
Weed-No-More, my lady,
O weed no more today.

(Available in quarts, 1-gallon and 5-gallon cans, and 55-gallon drums.)

No comments: