June 18, 2007

Eight things meme, and an extra

Camille at Book Moot tagged me some time ago for the Eight Habits/Things About Me meme. The taggee is supposed to list eight facts or habits about him- or herself, and, Camille explains,
The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.
Eight (not particularly interesting) habits/things about me, then:

1. I like lots of milk in my coffee (a friend in college used to ask me if I'd like a little coffee with my milk) and I drink it slowly. Which means it's almost always cold before I'm finished drinking. This is a trait I apparently inherited from my mother.

2. I sleep with socks on for most of the year.

3. Some items from my childhood scrapbook (before scrapbooking became a competitive sport): ticket stubs from the circus (Ringling Brothers, April 6, 1974) and a Mets game (vs. San Francisco, July 7, 1974); a pressed and dried edelweiss flower, a present from relatives after their trip to Europe; an autographed notes from Ezra Jack Keats ("It's been a pleasant sharing this afternoon with you") and Ben Lucien Burman ("with warmest good wishes from all us critters at Catfish Bend"), both of whom came to speak at my Puffin Books children's club meeting); and autographed photographs of Jimmy Cagney, Mae West, and Gene Kelly.

4. I can't fall asleep without reading a bit.

5. I don't have enough bookcases or bookshelves. I doubt that I ever will.

6. I miss Eugene T. Maleska.

7. For years until the kids were born, I had the same lunch every day -- a tuna sandwich and an apple. Then I decided it might be helpful to demonstrate that variety and moderation in all things are good.

8. I haven't used an ATM machine in the past twelve-and-a-half years.

I think most folks have been tagged, so I'll skip that part. But if you want to play along, go ahead, and leave the link in the comments, please.

Since I was so late with this one, I'll add an extra meme, Scattergories, that I haven't been tagged for, and that I've seen over at Frankie's Kitchen-Table Learners and at Karen's blog; the versions are a tad different (I opted for the one with flowers instead of celebrities, thereby avoiding bald Britney). Using the first letter of your (blog) name, come up with answers for the following categories:

Name: Becky

1. Famous singer/band: The Beatles.

2. 4 letter word: book

3. Street name: Broadway

4. Color: blue

5. Gifts/presents: books, to give and receive

6. Vehicle: boat

7. Items on a menu: Bananas Foster

8. Boy Name: Benjamin

9. Girl Name: Beth

10. Movie Title: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946); starring Myrna Loy, Frederic March, Dana Andrews, Virginia Mayo, Harold Russell, Teresa Wright, and Hoagy Carmichael. Directed by William Wyler. A World War II homecoming.

11. Drink: beer (Big Rock Pale Ale, from Calgary)

12. Occupation: bean counter

13. Flower: buffalo beans, one of my favorite Alberta wildflowers. They're coming to the end of their season now. Other wildflowers coming into bloom now -- bastard toadflax, pincushion beardtongue, northern bedstraw, field bindweed, blue-eyed grass, viper's bugloss, bunchberry, and butter-and-eggs.

15. Magazine: The Beaver, the magazine about Canadian history

16. US City: Boulder (and here's a Canadian one -- Brampton, Ontario)

17. Pro Sports Team: Boston Bruins (NHL)

18. Reason for Being Late for Work: Bushed. Or bushwacked.

19. Something You Throw Away: broken bits

20. Things you shout: Blast!

21. Cartoon character: Bugs Bunny.

No comments: