July 23, 2005

Canadian Interlibrary Loans Dodge a Bullet, for now

Some good news, after my post the other day -- according to an online story at the CBC yesterday, "Ottawa cancels planned postal hikes on library books."

However, while this rate will continue "beyond April 2006," that sounds like government speak for "you're toast after June 2006" and still applies to only books, so, after sending a thank you note to National Revenue Minister John McCallum, who made yesterday's announcement, I'm going to press on with my letter writing campaign and suggest that 1) the special rate be made permanent, since permanent literacy is a good thing, yes? and 2) that Canada Post come into line with the U.S. and the 21st century and amend the Book Rate to include audiovisual materials. I can hope, can't I?

No comments: