June 29, 2005

Some viewers may not share this sense of delight*

Hornblower beat me to it this morning. I'm another proud Canadian who can't think of a more delightful way to kick off the coming Dominion Day festivities.

Thanks to Hornblower, too, for the news that Rick Mercer has a blog. The Farmer and I have been in withdrawal since *This Hour Has 22 Minutes and Monday Report finished for the season.

Interestingly, several Members of the Legislative Assembly met today to discuss the ramifications of Bill C-38; before last night, Alberta was one of only two provinces to disallow same-gender marriages. I found it more than a bit ironic that the gist of the meeting concerned how best to provide protection -- yes, protection -- for those who may be discriminated against because they disagree with the legislation. I'll bet Sarah, who coincidentally wrote about the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms yesterday, noticed it, too.

And in the let's-cut-off-our-nose-to-spite-our-face department, the same group of MLA's also discussed the possibility of refusing to issue marriage licences to anyone, straight or gay. This is what passes for "brainstorming" in this province. And if I wasn't such a Luddite, right here I'd link an audio clip of Ray Bolger singing "If I Only Had a Brain" from the Wizard of Oz. No, we're not in Kansas anymore. We're stuck in Alberta, which most of the time is a dandy place to be.

No comments: